Wednesday, November 9, 2011

My Favorite Blue Sweater



I know this is a passage we all know. But it spoke to me fresh this morning, just popped into my head as I was wrestling about my favorite blue sweater. Recently the ladies in my bible study group attended the Woman’s Conference at our church. Jen Hatmaker, the author of our bible study, Interrupted, was the key note speaker. From what I can tell, it was life changing. I was out of town, so I didn’t attend. However I got this email Monday about how they had all agreed to bring their favorite shirt to donate to Katy Christian Ministries this Thursday at bible study. My first thought was, “Um, what? I didn’t agree to this!” I felt a bit railroaded, to be honest. But God apparently knows where He needs to work on us, and this was an unknown sore spot for me.

 I walked into my closet and thought, “Whew, nothing favorite comes to mind. I’ll just pick a shirt.” Then I saw the sweater. I knew it was the sweater the moment my eyes hit it and I immediately thought, "Nope. Not that one. I waited all summer to wear that sweater again." In fact just last week my mom and I were discussing said sweater, and she said, “I love that sweater, it’s so pretty on you.” I. Love. That. Sweater. The fact that my reaction was so intense led me to know that it was the one.....and I did not like it. I was more willing to give my Texas game day shirt, if you can believe it. So....it probably doesn’t paint me in a great light, but I was really struggling, clearly, with this donation. I mean, it’s just a shirt. I give away shirts all the time. But I don’t usually give my FAVORITE. I’m ashamed at how long it took me to get to a place of peace about it. Others might have come immediately to the verse below, but I did not. It didn’t hit me until this morning, a full 3 days after I got that email, while I was still bargaining with Jesus about why he didn't really need my sweater. At this point I had even promised to wear it while going to feed the homeless. Seriously. 

 “Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you? “The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me. Matthew 25:37-40.

Ok, I get it, we're supposed to help the poor, the least of these, but what got me was the last part: "You did it for me." Sadly, at first not even that convinced me that I would give my blue sweater. I mean, Jesus just said to clothe them. He didn't say give them your favorite shirt. So I continued to wrestle. I even thought about going out and buying a new sweater to give. I mean, it's brand new. Isn't that nicer than my 2nd hand sweater? Then, honestly, in my head (or maybe my heart), I saw Jesus standing there asking for my sweater....for HIM to wear. He said the least of these is the same as doing it for him. THAT’S what he meant. By giving it to those who need, I am giving it to Him. I admit I giggled a little picturing Jesus wearing my sweater. But then I got serious and thought about it. If he were standing before me asking for my sweater, I would give it to him. A thousand times over, I would give it to him. I would be PROUD to give it to him. I would tell everyone that Jesus was wearing MY sweater and doesn't he look so handsome in that shade of blue?  He could have any sweater he wanted, and some shoes, and my jeans, and whatever else he asked for. My closet would be his for the taking. It would be the greatest honor of my short little insignificant existence to give Jesus my sweater. 

So that's what I'll do. And I'll feel good about it. 

Anyway - it may come across silly, but it gave me peace about a blue sweater. It is perfect. I love it. I waited all summer looking at it thinking, "I can wear that soon and I will feel so pretty!" But maybe someone needs a sweater to wear to their kid’s Christmas program so that they can feel pretty. Or maybe they want to go to church and don't have a nice shirt to wear. Whatever it's needed for is ok with me. I won't think of it as giving it to Katy Christian Ministries. Even though that's a noble cause, I'm sad to say it didn't get it done for me. I would have done it, but I would have been sad to say goodbye to my perfect sweater. But it is with great happiness that I hand it over to Jesus, and whoever he gives it to is much more perfect than that sweater ever looked on me. 

1 comment:

  1. Isn't it amazing that God can work on us thru one little blue sweater? Well said!

    ReplyDelete