Wednesday, November 7, 2012

The Morning After...

This morning following (and leading up to) the Presidential election, people are being so ugly on both sides of the fence. Jen Hatmaker took a beating on social media last night for trying to be a voice of reason. I unsuscribed from and hid from my news feed on Facebook friends from both sides of the aisle, because I simply could not stand any more vitriol and hate. Talk of secession, assasination (yes, from normally semi-reasonably intelligent people), gloating over republicans and rubbing their faces in it, calling people bigots and gay-haters because they happened to support Romney, and worst of all, claiming you couldn't be a Christian if you stood on one side or the other, depending on who's viewpoint you agreed with. It's all too much. I'm seriously considering a Facebook fast. 

I want to ask people today, what changed, really? Our house is still here. Our mortgage is the same. Our bank accounts, precious little though they may be, are the same. My car still works and the back end is still wrecked. There may be economic change in our future. I hope there is. But it's not happening today. And nothing we can do will change the Kingdom calendar anyway. It's a matter of faith. 

Many other things remained unchanged that have nothing to do with the economics of you and me. People still live in tent city in Haiti. Children in the 3rd ward of Houston are still hungry and their parents are still without hope. There is still work to be done, and most likely it won't be done by any one government or president. It will be done, or not done, by you and me. But mostly, I am thankful today. This beautiful morning I woke up and the sun rose. My son is sleeping in after waking me up at 5:45. I spent a long time in prayer and thought because of that early rise. I'm thankful for everything, down to cats that live a long time and sit next to me while I pray. I'm thankful for my marriage, my family, my home. Tim still has a job and today I'm still a stay at home mom. I'm thankful for our country, for the men and women that defend it. I'm thankful that in our country, change can and does come. I'm thankful that I'm not in charge of that change, in any way shape or form. 

I prayed for our president. I prayed for humility, kindness, understanding, acceptance, wisdom, and love - both from him and for him. I prayed for his children and his wife. I prayed for his marriage. I will never forget Dr. Mann preaching at Riverbend after he had prayed at the National Prayer Breakfast when Clinton was president. It was right in the middle of the scandal and he said Clinton looked like a broken man. Dr. Mann said he walked over to him, put his hand on his shoulder and said, "Mr. President, I believe in you. I have faith in you, and I pray for you every day." He said Clinton got tears in his eyes and hugged him, and could barely get out the words, "Thank you." Presidents need our prayers. They have feelings and desires and hopes. They want and need people to believe in them. In my heart I believe they all really want to change the country for the better, and they all aspire to do so because they love America.

We are all just people, even those in power. We are all loved by God, created by Him. Not one of us is more right, better, more loved, or has God's ear more than the other. I wish I could find a way to say that on Facebook so that people would listen, but I know they won't. So I prayed for healing and a settling down. I'm sure every election year is like this. I'm sure the people who hated Bush felt the same way when he was elected as those who hate Obama. There is always a winner and loser and if you live long enough, your side will lose. We forget how to be gracious winners and losers in our adult lives. We teach our children to congratulate the winning team, shake their hand, and keep their heads up in defeat. My dad always taught us to be gracious in defeat and in victory. Somehow as adults it's become ok to forego basic human courtesy and decency. I hate the lines that we draw in humanity. Racial, sexual orientation, religious, economic, political party. Jesus doesn't draw lines, he never has. He just came to love us all, and that was his greatest commandment to us before He ascended to heaven. That if we were to call ourselves His followers:

“A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another." John 13:34

"I urge, then, first of all, that petitions, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for all people— for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness.” 1 Timothy 2:1-2 NIV

No comments:

Post a Comment