Monday, February 12, 2018

Sisterhood, Jewelry and Global Living


Once upon a time, I friend stalked this girl. It was right after we moved to Katy and I didn’t have a lot of friends. Just one or two, and one of those invited me to a party at her house, and I met Victoria. She doesn’t remember. But I do. I thought, “I want to be friends with her. That one. The one with the great laugh and smile. The one everyone is gravitating around. She looks fun. She looks genuine.” And so I set about making it happen. I stood next to her in boot camp. I commented on her Facebook posts. I got to know her in group outings. And then, one Mother’s Day, when we really didn’t know each other still, I just went for it and asked her family to meet my family for brunch. And that was it, we were friends.

Over the next 4 years, they’ve become family. Her kids are my kids and vice versa. But I’m finding as time goes along, we didn’t just add to our family. I added someone that supports me, loves me, gets me, and tells me the truth. Celebrates my wins, is sad for my losses, and is straight up with me when I’m being a ridiculous baby. I hope I do the same for her. She helped me hear my voice again. She helped me like myself more. She does that for all our tribe, our elephant tribe as we call it (thanks to this post by Jen Hatmaker). Her friendship makes me a better version of me. This is what happens when we are vulnerable with each other, when we give someone a chance. They can become family.

I’ve been thinking these days about sisterhood. I’ve been lucky. I have a lot of close, strong, supportive sisters in my life. I used to think that was chance. But in this new “say nice things to yourself” era I’m working on, I think maybe I made that happen. Just like I set out to make our friendship happen. I think I might be good at this sisterhood thing. It fills me up, seeing women support each other. So much of our lives we spend competing, fighting, one-upping, feeling inadequate, and judging each other. When we come together, the magic of it makes my heart sing. I’ve always loved animals and I thought someday I would run an animal rescue. While my house will always have animals in it, and maybe a foster dog or two that I’ll probably adopt, I think my life’s calling might look a little different. Animals are easy to love. People are harder sometimes. Maybe I can help with that - maybe I can build some bridges.

I’ve been thinking about barriers, and fear of the unknown, and women, differences, and cultures. More than anything I want to live in a global world. I want my kids to as well. We’re lucky that the city we live in attracts people of many different cultures. It’s normal to my kids to see many different colors and faiths and languages in our schools and daily lives. But I want more. I want global sisterhood. I don’t want to help people in underserved countries. I want to know them. I want to work with them. I want us to help each other. In these years where my kids are older and I’ve had time to think about what my talents and heart’s desire and faith really means to me, I keep circling back to Noonday. I’ve been friend stalking them in a way. I love their mission.

            To make a difference in some of the world's most vulnerable communities, we partner with Artisan Businesses that share our passion for building a flourishing world. We develop these businesses through fair trade, empowering them to grow sustainably and to create dignified jobs for people who need them.




Fair trade. Empowering others to grow. Creating jobs. Women making an impact by not only sharing the most beautiful and intricate jewelry and accessories you’ve ever seen, but by making this world smaller. By creating a bridge from their place on the globe to ours. By helping us know each other, and become friends, and maybe even family. This is what I want. This speaks to my soul. This is not a charity, this is women helping other women create their own futures, build their own dreams, and in turn empower other people in their communities. This is the global version of the sisterhood I’ve been looking for.

I’m ready to get started. I’m ready to show you how talented the artisans are, how precious their communities, how beautiful their hearts. I’m ready to make some new friends, both here in entering your homes and telling you the stories I know and showing you the jewelry and accessories that illustrate them; and abroad by learning about women in other places far away from my comfortable, small world. This is what fills my heart; this is where my soul sings. Women working together, helping each other to be the best version of themselves. Someone did it for me. Now I want to pass it on. This world really is such a cool place, I want to experience it more, write about it more, share it more. Because in the end, we really are all the same.

 “Little one, when you are older and when you are grown, you may be different. And they may be different, wherever you are, wherever they are, in this big, wide world. But remember this:

Joys are the same, and love is the same. Pain is the same, and blood is the same. Smiles are the same, and hearts are just the same – wherever they are, wherever you are, wherever WE are.

All over the world.”Mem Fox, Whoever You Are

We are stronger together. If you'd like to book a Noonday trunk show (or just shop the link below!)and find out more, please contact me. I'd love to hear from you! Hostess deals are amazing and change every month, and we also do trunk shows to benefit adoptive families. 





No comments:

Post a Comment